In 2015 the German University Foundation DUS launched the Welcome scholarship programme for students at German higher education institutions who are refugees. It is based on a unique concept: on-site teaching staff mentor students in a one-on-one approach in the candidates’ respective subject areas. The DUS acts as a mediator between the teaching staff and the students. In addition, the scholarship offers workshops (on time- and learning management skills, how to put together a presentation, rhetoric or business etiquette), coachings, networking opportunities, potential analyses, specialist meetings and symposia and a budget for study-related costs and tech equipment to promote the students’ academic success and facilitate their access to the German labour market.
Applicants are enrolled in a Bachelor’s programme at a German institution of higher education, colleges of art or music (humanities, economic sciences or STEM disciplines), and have not yet completed their 2nd semester.
Number of Scholarships
Students receive the scholarship until they have finished their programme.
- placement with a locally based university teacher of the candidate’s subject area as a mentor
- continuous support of the mentoring relationships by the German University Foundation
- obligatory biannual seminars aimed at developing core skills in the following fields: mentoring as a chance and a mission, self- and learning management skills, how to put together presentations and present oneself, job application training, business etiquette and communication, intercultural competence
- 1 personal one-on-one coaching with a professional coach during the study period
- participation in academic events (i.e. the symposium by the German Association of University professors and Lecturers, DHV) as well as active involvement in relevant networks
- compensation for travel expenses to seminars and other trips in connection with the Welcome programme
- yearly budget for each student for study-related costs
- one-time budget for buying digital tech equipment
Please submit your application together with a scholarship motivation letter (1 page at most), detailing your expectations concerning the programme, a resume in table format (2 pages max.), certificates, and your enrolment certificate as a PDF file exclusively via e-mail to Frau Simone Geerdsen.